15.6.15

Nostalgia: Summertime

In the summer of 1996 I spent many evenings over at my friend Sofia's house, where we watched lots of movies on her living room floor/read lots of David Eddings's books on her roof. To this day, late summer evenings still makes me think of The Bridges of Madison County and The Langoliers.

My best friend Marléne and I grew up together on the same street and spent most of our summers outside (almost never watching any movies). That's why I remember the summer we watched Terminator 2: Judgement Day so well - mainly because I spent the rest of it randomly asking my mother what our hamster's name was (we had a bunny) to make sure she wasn't a robot. Around that time I also watched Twister and Broken Arrow a lot.

In 1997, when I turned 13, my aunt gave me a VHS copy of Dirty Dancing and since I grew up with four younger siblings it was a big deal for me. My birthday became the one day of the year when I got to watch something "grown-up" at home. In the summers that followed, I discovered both What's Eating Gilbert Grape? and Forrest Gump and I started watching those on my birthdays instead. I don't know why I remember this one birthday so vividly, but it was getting dark earlier and had started to smell a little like autumn. We had picked some blueberries in the morning and while my mother made my cake I watched Stealing Beauty on the TV. I haven't watched it since, but somehow the memory of that particular birthday has stuck with me.

Today, I try to watch less movies in the summertime and spend more time outside. Mainly doing stuff like this:

My brother and me and our bunny in the summer of 2008. She was the bossy one that bit us wherever she could (once through the cartilage on my ear). 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar